Welcome to Session 1.
In this introductory session, you'll discover that contemplative prayer is an invitation to intimacy forged in and through the messy contingencies of life. I'll introduce you to a bit of my own story, and a helpful three-stage pathway offered by one of the great contemplatives, St. Teresa of Avila. I end with a basic practice that you can begin with.
Buckle up. Here we go.
Martin Laird, Into the Silent Land
St. Teresa of Avila, The Interior Castle (translation by Mirabai Starr)
New Forthcoming Book!
John Coe and Kyle Strobel, Embracing Contemplation: Reclaiming a Spiritual Practice
1. Find a quiet space where you won’t be interrupted
2. Find a good chair where you’ll be able to sit upright with your feet on the floor.
3. Set a timer for 5 minutes.
4. Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, and exhale for 8 seconds.
5. Every time you breathe in, simply whisper within – WELCOME JESUS.
6. At 5 minutes, simply whisper thank you.